MEDICAL TRANSCRIPTION , also known as MT is an allied health profession, where a medical transcriptionist listens to the voice recordings from the physicians , other health care professionals and turn them into written reports.JOB RESPONSIBILITIES OF A MEDICAL TRANSCRIPTIONIST
After seeing the patient, Doctors dictate the process of their evaluation history of present illness, past history, physical examination, recommendations, treatment plan, and other information.
Dictations gets recorded into a centralized server and gets transferred to medical transcriptionists through secure channels for transcription.
Qualified transcribers transcribe dictations per established criteria or format.
Dictations can be categorized into admission notes, operative notes, outpatient visits, discharge, summaries, emergency room reports etc depends upon the patient scenario
Quality analyst then recheck those records for streamlined quality control
Transcribed /documents are delivered back to the centralized server, keeping in mind the turn-around time for doctors to access the reports
Transcribed reports are handed over to the patient and a copy is kept with the doctor/hospital/clinic
A well-documented, organized, and legible transcribed document can be used for record, insurance, and future visits
1. Knowledge of medical terminology.
2. Above-average spelling, grammar, communication and memory skills.
3. Ability to sort, check, count, and verify numbers with accuracy.
4. Skill in the use and operation of basic office equipment/computer; eye/hand/foot coordination.
5. Ability to follow verbal and written instructions.
6. Records maintenance skills or ability.
7. Above-average to excellent typing skills.
8. Sound Knowledge of basic to advanced medical terminology is a must.
9. Sound Knowledge of anatomy and physiology.
10. Sound Knowledge of disease processes.
11. Sound Knowledge of medical style and grammar.
12. Effective communication skills.
13. Above-average memory skills.
14. Ability to sort, check, count, and verify numbers with accuracy.
15. Demonstrated skill in the use and operation of basic office equipment/computer.
16. Ability to follow verbal and written instructions.
17. Records maintenance skills or ability.
18. Above-average typing skills.
19. Knowledge and experience transcribing (from training or real report work) in the Basic Four work types: History and Physical Exam, Consultation, Operative Report, and Discharge Summary.
20. Knowledge of and proper application of grammar.
21. Knowledge of and use of correct punctuation and capitalization rules.
22. Demonstrated MT proficiency in multiple report types and multiple ″specialties″.
8% increase in jobs from 2012 to 2022(average growth rate)
The average salary for an experienced Medical Transcriptionist is Rs 239,517 per year, while for freshers it generally ranges between Rs.6000-8000 per month. People in this job generally don't have more than 20 years' experience. Experience strongly influences pay for this job. The highest paying skills associated with this job are Quality Assurance / Quality Control, Proofreading, and Editing.